Thursday, April 21, 2011

Red Squirrels

This cute little baby just jumped up onto my lap this morning...looking for his momma I expect. She no doubt told him to get out of the house while he still knows everything! He was awfully hungry and thirsty! I could not really abandon him outside since it was snow mixed with drizzle out there right now. He would have just keeled over and perished. So I caged him and gave him some water and granola and a bed for the night.
He was very lethargic and slow moving...you can see that in the pictures above. Normally a squirrel would be moving too fast to register on a film! Very hungry....almost skin and bones!
So this little fella is a pet for now....and I'll let him out into the pumpkin patch when the weather turns milder. There are still lots of seeds left over from the great pumpkin massacre for a little fellow like that to snack on.

He looks rather field mouse like...except for his size....and the beginnings of what will be a very bushy tail. And those clawed feet! Oh my! The red squirrels are really pretty, and all in all are smaller than the usual run of squirrels around here. You can see the red just coming in at the back of his head.

4 comments:

Middle Child said...

I have never even seen a squirrel in real life much less a baby one - how amazing -

Judy said...

Yup, if he let you handle him, he is lethargic!! I know you will take care of him, though! You might pretend to be tough, but you are a softy at heart!

Unknown said...

Maybe if I pull a thorn out of his paw he won't eat me when he grows up.....

Oh wait...thats lions....

coastalcutie2000 said...

You are very kind to take in the little fellow, poor dear! He looks cold and fragile. Thank goodness for some goodness in the world!