Saturday, May 27, 2006

International cooking

Its funny, so many countries, so much bad cooking! I knew that I was in trouble when I got to Malta and discovered that instead of Italian Cooking, Mediterranian weather, and English speaking, I got Semetic speaking, Newfoundland weather, and English cooking. This WAS unfortunate. Fortunately, I like the weather, the cooking, and semetic language reminded me of downtown Ottawa. (Little Beireut...) I found out that it really IS possible to get a bad wine....and Maltese wine is pretty bad. It was good to cut the grease in the sink, but tasted awful. Heck, the plonk in the boxes at the train station convenience store in Rome was twenty times better!
The idea of eating my way through Europe sounds seductive, and not such a bad way to spend a summer vacation. So, I got some reviews of European cooking. This was one of the best....http://www.guardian.co.uk/food/Story/0,,1783596,00.html#article_continue

You have your pick of Iceland shark, Lithanian potato sausages, and Dutch double fried chips with Mayonaisse. Though we have plenty of questionable cooking right here in North America! I am sure some of my blogger buddies can tell stories of Winnepeg Perogies and Prarie Oysters, Baltimore soft shelled crab, Alabama deep fried pork fat nuggets, and New Brunswick Dried Seaweed.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a timely post. My daughter has to cook a Japanaese dish for her school's Around the World cultural party. I've been researching Japanese dishes and man, those people eat some disgusting food! But you're right - plenty of good ol' American food is just as gross. Personally, of course, anything made from animals makes my stomach roll. Of course, I'm Irish, so bread and potatos 3x a day is all I need!

STAG said...

Well, Winnipeg (where I grew up) has a drink called "red eye" which is beer and tomatoe juice. Then there are prarie oysters, which are bulls testicals prepared in several ways. Fried on a plate with perogies (Ukranian potato and cheese dumplings) are barely acceptable, but the "good ol' boys" like them raw in the bottom of a beer glass, with a shot of whisky poured onto it. Snap it back with a beer chaser. Better than viagara or "kaff kaff", so I am told! Around here they use a raw egg and call it a "prarie oyster", but now you know....the REST of the story....grin!

Jennifer said...

That's just gross.

STAG said...

Thats gross! Heck, did you read how the Icelanders prepare shark?