Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Marmora Fair 2006






On Labour Day weekend, I demonstrated armour making and sword fighting at the Marmora Fair, in Ontario. These pictures are random shots taken during that fair. Click on the images to see them in their full sized glory!


From the top down

Me demonstrating some of the coarser points of sword handling. In between the rain drops.

The little cow barn where I set up my stuff. Hey...it was dry! Not much else was!

The BIGGEST horse I have ever seen! I am standing right in front of that matched team! So gentle! Glad they didn't think my fingers were carrots! The owner won an award for the pretty tack...even though in my opinion, it was too small for the horses! (They won the heavy horse pull to no one's surprise)

My neighbours...

The biggest inukshuk I have ever seen! This one is at the entrance to the old Marmoraton Iron Open Pit mine. Inukshuks are more and more common around Canadian highways. http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=ArchivedFeatures&Params=A29

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

That is a big horse! Wow. I'd never heard of an inukshuk before, so thanks for the link. Very interesting!

. said...

I remember there was a few inukshuks showing up in Aylmer when I used to live there.

Frustrated Writer said...

I am going to have to check up on the inukshuks and as for the horses, they would make me nervous.

brian yates said...

how does your armour compare with what would have been worn/used back in the day? Have you made use of modern materials to reduce weight, add strength, etc? Or have you stuck with original materials and designs? I guess what I am really wondering is how would your stuff hold up at Agincourt :)
interesting work

STAG said...

Hi bfy! I think I saw you on the Malta Diving web site.

I would like to think that my armour would hold up just fine at Agincourt, and in fact, would probably not get a second look

The armour I make from measured originals rarely fits anybody.