Friday, January 07, 2005

New tooth!

After 9 months of sitting in dentists chairs once a month, I finally got my new molar mounted into the back over there on the lower left side. I was quite attached to that tooth, been with me since I was a toddler. Even had a gold inlay put into it a decade ago or so. Trouble is, that glint of gold was too much temptation for some junkie on the next bed when I was lying dead in a hospital bed. The pain of him prying my tooth out kick started my heart, I came alive (bet that was a surprise dude!) and removed a couple of his with a short upper cut. Then I sort of sank back into sleep, trying my best to ignore the sudden activity around the IC bed. Thought it was all a dream actually until a few days later, when I talked with my dentist about this pain in my molar. He confirmed that "Yup, somebody was prying on it". We tried for 3 years to save it, but eventually, it sheared off at the gum line. Well, last February, they dragged out the roots, set in a piece of cadaver bone (Me and the dead guy, we get along fine!) and let it become one with my lower jaw. Then, drilled it out, and set in a nice solid spike, which had a socket in it. (Nice piercing dude!) Yesterday, the good doctor inserted a spike into the socket, and mounted a ceramic tooth on it! Yaaay!
You know, dental work is very finicky, very techy, very much underappreciated. Feels good to be able to pry beer bottle caps off with the left side again.....grin!

4 comments:

. said...

I think my favourite part was you beating the tar out of that guy.

Otherwise, I'm a big wuss when it comes to dentistry, and I shudder even thinking about "the chair".

Martyr73 said...

Holy crap that's a strange story! Must be true, no way you could have made something like that up. :)

Seriously, though, what put you in the position to being able to have a junkie attempt to pry it out of your mouth?

STAG said...

Oh its true all right!

Turns out that after 45 years, I discovered that I am allergic to (get this!) mosquitoes! Took 500 of the little blood sucking bastards to do me in though....and a very hot shower which brought the blood up to the surface. One moment I am blinking soap out of my eyes, and then, like a scene change on TV, I am looking up at a friend of mine. I asked him "what am I doing here?" He says "thats the 5th time you have asked that! "Did I get an answer the other times" I asked? "Uh Huh, you collapsed on the bathroom floor." Some sort of allergic reaction. Hmmm, (I thought...must be that soap stuff they keep trying to get me to use....grin!)
Well, it was a long and miserable time, and yeah, I have stories to tell about "the other side", but thats besides the point. Fact is, I died 4 times that afternoon, and every time, they started my heart with a jolt and a shot of Prednezone. the last time, it "started on its own". Hah! I wuz there...I owe that junkie a kick start.

Martyr73 said...

That is amazing. I guess something like that really changes a persons perspective on life, huh? 500 mosquito bites? Crap, that had to suck. I mean, before the whole "Kickstart My Heart" thing overshadowed it. :)

I'm glad you made it through ok, though. There's no way that I would have found that article on Damascus prostitutes going to war if wasn't for you. :)