Sunday, January 30, 2005

The Sunny Mediterranian.....NOT!

Well, rain cancelled the big St Paul's Shipwreck day parade! Though of course it cannot compare with the 10 below in Ottawa, there is no doubt that 7 above with a whipping wind is pretty miserable!
You should see this place...geriatric central! This place is worse than Fort Lauderdale for blue haired old hags running out the clock with their leathery dates. They all look like they should be making "carry on" movies. Here I was expecting Italian cooking, English speaking and cold beer, instead I get warm beer, semetic speaking and English cooking! I am getting mightily tired of egg and chips butty! (A butty is a sandwich... but one that drips a lot.) As usual, we made the long trip all the way out to Fort St. Elmo, and just as usual, it wasn't open! Closed due to rain this time. You dopes, you only open it once in two weeks for a Police parade, and when you cancel the parade, you don't even put up a sign to say so!
Oh well...we had lots of company. Lots of grumbling people at the gates of Fort St. Elmo. If any body from Malta is reading this...you lost a LOT of money today you fools! When I was there, it was lovely, sunny and nice, though of course, the streets were flooded with over 6 inches of water at times. Its not like they make provision to drain off rain water...I think I saw the year's supply of rain this morning! There is not a lot of rain here...lots of cactus though.
Yesterday dropped into the Takali airfield. It isn't an airfield any more, of course, though it saw LOTS of action in WWII. Now the local craftspeople are trying to eke a living in the old nissan huts. Seems like an idea of the 1960's, with the tie dyed shirts and embroidered jeans, but these are just plain taudry, and well past their "sell by" dates. There is a plan to change it all...probably by putting up hotels...that seems to be the usual answer to urban renewal around here.
Well, more later, as you can see, my usual ascerbic comments are just going to have to wait until I get much more pissed off...so far though, this warm beer is not too bad. Maybe if I drink enough of it, I'll learn to play cribbage. (the hot game around here....)
From Malta, this is your intrepid reporter signing off.

3 comments:

Martyr73 said...

I can't do warm beer...It's gotta be cold. The colder the better. Nothing better than an ice cold beer on a hot afternoon.

STAG said...

Hot afternoon! I wish. This is not beautiful Georgia after all! Oh well....its just the tourists I find geriatric....the Maltese people make up for all the shit faced assholes. Such friendliness is so refreshing. This is a great place to visit, but to live here would mean dealing with twits like me. And the Scottish jack ass who tried to pick a fight with me a couple of minutes ago. The BarTender just called security, and the guy backed down. Guess drunks are drunks the world over! Don't know how they can stand it.
There is a better area here than this one though, if you want night life. I think I am getting too old to hang with mini-skirted 17 year old Japanese girls. (Well, the spirit would be willing, but the flesh would be weak). Would not be so bad except for the smoke and the noise! Sorry, even a child of the sixties has to draw the line somewhere...this isn't Janice Joplin, its some sort of Euro-thump head banging stuff which might make it across the pond in a few years. maybe. Actually, the Maltese music when you can find some is kind of nice..kind of folksy, though the kids roll their eyes when it is being played. The bus drivers seem to like it. That and Abba.
Friday is festa day in Valetta. Lots of floats, sort of Mardi-Gras without the fake jewelry. Well, we'll see. I plan to get totally shit faced myself and go off and find myself a Scotsman to batter. Or maybe not.

. said...

Gah. Cribbage is like dentists. I hate it.