Saturday, August 05, 2006

Shop Work





I am now volunteering to maintain the muskets for the kilted regiment I wrote about below. Here are some shop pictures. The lad is Andrew McFee, and his dad, who dropped in because, well, he wanted to see an honest to goodness armourer's shop. The distinguishing feature of course is the curly air hoses hanging over all the benches.

What I am doing here is taking the locks out, and drilling the touch holes out because, well, they plug up with charcoal, wadding and other fouling almost right away when they shoot them. They are lucky to get off more than 3 shots. This procedure should help.


The fellow in the top picture wearing the ball cap is Jock White...at 75 he has started this regiment, got the grants, got the interest up, did the recruiting. He is a Scottish Piper by vocation. He is working 14 hour days. I think it will either keep him young, or put in his grave.

Close ups of the muskets later on....stay tuned....grin!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Very cool. I love Scottish pipes. Being Scotts-Irish and all, I guess it's in my blood or something.

Frustrated Writer said...

totally cool. in my former life I was a machinist. this brings back memories