Monday, October 23, 2006

Museums

Dropped into the Canadian Museum of Civilization after class on Sunday. I saw one exhibit...on ice skating. I didn't realize how many different kinds and styles of skate there has been made here in the last couple of centuries. Myself..I don't skate. I have never found skates which didn't hurt. I mean hurt a lot! I was going to see the "Petra" exhibit (Petra is an ancient town in Jordan) but everybody else had seen it, and I didn't want to go in alone. The children finally drove me out....laughing and running around is good, but they can't seem to do it without screaming in excitement. Which I suppose if fine at a midway, but not in the museum cafeteria. I know, its normal behaviour. And normally it doesn't bother me, but for some reason, it got on my nerves. Just tired I guess. And they were just kids being kids.
(Only I could teach a sword class, attend a museum, drive Quebec traffic and be too bored to stay awake...geeeez)

In the news... (and I don't know why I found this to be so gosh darned funny...'cept I remember a post from Ovonia Red a few months ago stating "Dude, Don't Buy a Dell!"

The Washington Post Style Invitational asked readers for songs for a product, company, organization or agency, set to any Beatles song:

Ikea (to "Norwegian Wood")
These dressers and shelves,
Though they look nice,
Don't build themselves.
Packed flat in a box,
Tight as we could:
Ikea wood.
Wordless instruction sheets may have you pulling your hair;
If you're not careful, your bookshelf may end up a chair.
You'll, when you are done,
Have a screw loose more ways than one.
If something drove youCrazy for good,
Ikea would.
(Brendan Beary, Great Mills)

.............Dell Laptops (to "Hey Jude")
Hey, dude, you got a Dell.
It's the laptop of your desire.
Remember to trade the battery in,
Lest it begin
to catch on fire. . . .
And anytime you feel the heat,
hey dude, retreat,
Don't think that they're only trying to test us.
And don't you know that it's no joke --
When you see smoke
You'll wish that your clothing was asbestos.
Ow ow ow ow ow, ow ow ow ow
. . .(David Smith, Santa Cruz, Calif.)

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love children, but that gets on my nerves, too. Especially in places like museums.

Leave it to Canada to build a skate museum! I don't skate, either. Tried once. Bloodied my elbow. No thanks.

I love the Beatles song idea. Hey Jude is the best.

Trundling Grunt said...

I find it difficult to associate civilization and skating. Just sounds too weird to me - the Petra exhbition sounds a lot more interesting.

Ovonia Red said...

My Mom actually read both of those style invitationals to me last Sunday morning (family tradition: morning + Washington Post + tea + cats). I still shudder every time I hear anything about Dell--suppose I'm traumatized for life now.

I was just telling my co-worker about your job. It always impresses people when I tell them I'm friends with an armourer (I know, I shouldn't tyr to piggyback on your coolness--it is just that I have so little coolness of my own!)

DJ

Anonymous said...

rotfl - the beatles parodies were hilairous - love it.

the trousered ape