Saturday, October 07, 2006

Three Piece Armour



This is my latest "3 piece suit". I call it a "3 piece suit" because it is three pieces in the top, three fauld lames, and three pieces in the back. This one incorporates several new ideas. For instance, the homemade buckles in front. (not the middle one...the ones high on the side which fasten the shoulder straps.) First time I ever made those...it was easier than I anticipated. I think making buckes shall be standard from here on in. They look better, they keep the work "in house". Also, I picadilled the armour. That is to say, I installed leather "rub strips" to protect the finish.

Other new inventions...the new style tassets. After getting my leg stuck by sharp edged tassets, I am now going to make them like this. And of course, the entire thing is wheeled. Including the faulds. This takes out the hammer marks so prevalent on amateur armours. I also riveted the edges of the faulds at the corners to help them to curl inwards instead of flaring out. I always thought the outward flaring to be silly, even if it WAS what happened in the old days. This might work, or maybe I will have to come up with something better.


All in all, I am proud enough of this piece to put it up on my blog. For what its worth, this is the one you saw me working on a few posts back at the Marmora Fair.

5 comments:

Peach Flambée said...

Very nice!

Jennifer said...

beauty-ful!

jel said...

very cool piece of work there!


hay thanks for the visit and the comment!

have a blessed day!

coastalcutie2000 said...

What a gorgeous suit! It is the only kind of a suit I trust, don't you know... I certainly don't trust guys in the regular ones... They are either tax collectors or are bringing bad news. Sorry! I really do love your armor. You do fabulous work in everything that I have seen so far. Keep it up!

PCM

Medusa aka expiringpoet said...

this is honestly amazing work my friend! I'm sure any man wearing this would look gorgeous!