Monday, April 30, 2007

Shop Demo

Shop Demo. This is an armour I made from pieces which were just lying around, usually because they were cut too small. During a slow time last December, I gathered them all up, and made an armour out of them. Doesn't look too bad. The lass is a good friend's daughter, who was doing a "unit" on medieval, and came by for a shop tour.



Its like the armour was made for her!


Here I am demonstrating how to take lumbs and bumps out of metal with the English Wheel. Nice toy, that wheel!



And here is where I put the lumps and bumps into the metal in the first place. Just a simple matter of pounding the steel down depressions in the wood. Well, seems to work. Click on the images to enlarge.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hmmm. Why would you put lumps and bumps into the metal just to take them out?

STAG said...

Well, you don't want armour to look like flat sheets of cardboard. It has to be dished, raised, and shaped to fit the underlying body. For instance, if I was to make armour for YOU, Jennifer, I would have to capture your delightful hourglass figure. This means a lot of hammering goes into it. But the hammer marks look rough and ugly, so they have to be blended and "ironed" out like I would iron out the wrinkles in my military shirts.

Jennifer said...

Awww, you make me blush. Well now, that is fascinating! Thanks for the lesson.

Anonymous said...

I like the authentic look to the armor. You have such great talent my friend!