Thursday, December 27, 2007

More Prague

Pics from May of 2007, cllick on the images to see them in their true glory!

Patterened glass, forms the roof of a "close", or perhaps better called a "courtyard".
This is the 1920's style of the above courtyard....I had to increase the light in the picture, but it still looks dark and gloomy. Thats a shame, because in reality, it was not gloomy at all! All that glass let in a lot of light, and the sculptures were certainly special.



A business selling armour, swords, battle axes and stuff. Neat guys, but I could not communicate with them. I think the heavy plywood shutters make for a very interesting display area.


A random door downtown. I have no idea what is on the other side of it, but I bet its important! You really DO have to click on the above picture to get a real idea of how pretty that stone work is!
This is the tourist information centre. Funny enough, i think I only realized that was what it was when I was back in Canada...I was far too taken by the shields on the third floor.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Living in the West in the US, you don't see buildings like this. The East coast has some, and Washington DC is crammed with them

I loved the wooden doors on the carved building. Do one of the shields on the info building look like a martini glass to you?

STAG said...

I think all the buildings are in beautiful living colour! This was not something anybody had told me before I went there, and is not like most cities anywhere.

Ovonia Red said...

Good pics of Prague. I never really thought about the multi-colored buildings. Perhaps that is because I arrived in Prague in December, when everything was grey and overcast and miserable. By the time things warmed and brightened up a bit, I guess I was used to the concept of colorful buildings so I just didn't really see them any more. That is why it is always great to have people visit.

DJ

STAG said...

CV, I think the one that looks like a martini glass is actually a three legged swastika.
The real fun lies in tracking these heraldic devices down...they often belong to important families in the city.

Unknown said...

Prague is a very popular tourist destination receiving over 3 million visitors per year. It offers the contrasts of the past with bridges, cathedrals, gold-tipped towers and church domes, and that of a modern metropolis full of energy, music, and art. The architecture of Prague property includes Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance, and Baroque as well as classical buildings and Art Nouveau. Prague is also a city of bridges, 14 alone crossing the river Vltava. Prague is also a ‘Green City’ with numerous parks and forest areas.