Sunday, June 27, 2010

Warren Zevon

One of the greatest folk singers of all time is Warren Zevon. You remember him as the voice behind "Werewolves of London". Warren was capable of writing a song on the spot...for instance, on the David Letterman Show, he wrote and composed "Licked by a Stranger" in response to some banter with David. (The link shows that episode) Oh sure, we all know and love Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner and the possibly autobiographical song "Send Lawyers,Guns and Money and get me out of this!" But to my mind, his finest effort was the hockey song. Oh, no, not the Stompin Tom Conners "Hockey Song", but rather, Warren Zevon's "Hit Somebody, the Hockey Song".

An acquaintance in the beautiful country of Cyprus told me that the warning phrase becoming popular around the world is "Better watch out or I'll go Canadian on ya! Hmmm. Wonder if this is the reason why.

When Warren was diagnosed with terminal cancer, he and his friends all recorded an album. If I was dying of cancer, I don't know if I would be able to record "Knock knock knockin' on heaven's door, but Warren did. Far from being a depressing recording session, it turned out to be one almighty awesome party.




I'll leave you with Jackson Browne's version of "Roland".

2 comments:

Judy said...

Hey, Bill, that was awesome! I have not heard Roland in so many years - not since I became a mother and gave up swearing and heavy drinking!!

Unknown said...

heh! How could I have guessed that Warren & Hunter S. were good friends? >;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4Id-Ga5P00&NR=1


Cheers & back atcha! \/




-=*+[nica]+*=-