Monday, May 28, 2007

Cold wet Roma

So here I figured, we roasted and toasted and sweated over the Appian Way yesterday, so what the heck...take the "archeobus", an open air tour bus which covers most of the interesting things on the Appia way. My feet needed a break, so why not. Why not indeed! As soon as we got onto the Appian Way, the heavens opened up, and we all got soaked. Not that the bus driver cared, HE was under cover! Very chilly rain, and the bus did not stop, but moved at 60 km/hr for another 30 minutes. Oh wait, it DID stop once....for fifteen minutes, in a field with NO COVER! Blowdy 'ell!
So, we jumped off it as soon as we got to where there were "normal" busses (you know, ones with roofs!), and went to the bus scrum outside the train station. A new shirt and an expresso warmed me up, and against my better judgement, I followed Brenda outside to take the last run of the archaeobus. Seemed like a dreadful waste of money to just do the short tour. And the heavens cleared, the sun came out, and it was absolutely gorgeous. So I sat down and chatted with a nice couple from Peterborough, (the one in the UK), and of course, sat right in a wet spot.
So, without getting robbed or anything particularly interesting, we sat outside the "Pyramid" train station drinking cappuccino, looking at pretty girls (and as Brenda says, I wasn't looking at pretty girls, but I did see her eyeing a couple of young Roman boys though!).

And thats about it for our adventure. Upstairs now to get some echacacia to counter these chills.
Regards,
Bill

No comments: