Tuesday, December 07, 2004

This is WORK!

Oh man! I am NOT used to this! Working flat out! I thought I was retired and beyond this....! I am SUCH a whiner! Well, to heck with it...I am going to have a coffee and blog for a bit.
Freezing rain. The trailer is sitting out in the driveway piled high with junk I would take to the dump, but if I do, the trailer will be empty, and I will have no excuse not to put more junk into it! Well, hey, the logic works for me! So the rain will fall on all the trash, freeze and turn into an immovable lump. Even more reason to leave the blessed thing. Tomorrow is supposed to be 4 degrees Celsius and raining. Normal conditions for a dump run around here! Yesterday, we worked flat out to get Maggie's armour finished and delivered because Brenda was so worried about the freezing rain today. As it was, the day was pretty much blown off. Turned out to be a wise decision. If we had not gone yesterday, we would never have made it back today in time to get to my scuba course.
Yup, we are taking a scuba course. The PADI course...which is internationally recognized. (read expensive) There is so much involved with SCUBA...our heads just spun with the sheer volume of information. I suppose you COULD take it all in one day, but...you gotta be smarter than me. And every single bit of it seems relevent to keeping you alive and safe. The pass mark is set pretty high. Typical question...how long can you stay under water with your tank pressure below 100 pounds...answer....the rest of your life....
Something is wrong with my FTP, server, object path or some such...I simply CANNOT upload pictures to my server. (and by extension, to here!)Its like the server was blocking it. To make things more interesting, the monitor suddenly didn't like red. Even going to the settings....there was only blues and blacks and yellows! It fixed itself just as suddenly a couple of hours later, and no re-boots were involved. I have no idea what the problem is, nor do I have the time to figure it out. Hell, it was bad enough that we finally figured out why my Norton Anti-Virus wasn't scanning...seems that all this time my 'puter had been in "audit" mode...no I never heard of that either! Apparently, that is a testing mode from the factory, and should have been turned off! Well, hey, guess whenever I find three hours to kill, I will just re-install NAV. Poor NAV...it had been corrupted like a South American dictator by some invading worm....now nobody trusts it! I do know that if you have McAffee on your platform you better not change it for Norton..they hate each other, and will destroy your Windows in the resultant fight!
And Yesterday was the anniversary of two great massacres...the Montreal Massacre (15 years ago) which has come to symbolize the problem of violence against women, and the attack on Pearl Harbour, which has come to symbolize the problem of violence by Asian autocracies in the Pacific.
Well, enough of this...time to get my butt into the saddle. A word from Kipling...the tight ass Englishman with the work ethic....

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream -- and not make dreams your master;
If you can think -- and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings -- nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run --
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And -- which is more -- you'll be a Man, my son

1 comment:

. said...

There is a method of posting pictures on a blog without having to use an ftp server. Check out:
http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=324&topic=17

Its how I host almost all the images that go onto my blog. Its a little more involved than using straight FTP. On the upside, its also free space :D.

I noticed on a previous post that there are no more local ren faires? Doh. I never even knew there was any around here. Really really wanted to go to one too.