Friday, December 23, 2005

Christmas.....




(Dunstan made this!. Click on it to Enlarge)

Got the tree up, and decorated. We are using the new LED lights...they make all the difference for peace of mind. No hot bulbs....and you can string as many on as you like, they won't load down your circuit.

Small things to amuse a small mind, I know, but what can I say...I am so full of the mellow joy of christmas I can only say Merry Christmas....drive sober...and don't feel obliged to make EVERY cookie Jennifer....or drink EVERY beer Zlanth. Well, maybe scratch that last admonition.

Anyway, not a bad picture of me up above there. It was at the Ren Fair, oh, three or four years ago, and this little girl came up on my deck, took one look at me, and screamed. Then hid behind her mother. This was very disconcerting. Her mom told me that she had never seen a man with a beard before. (Oh, the horrors of modern culture!) I knelt down to her level and said to her mom's knees...you didn't scream like that when I brought you your presents last Christmas eve! The sobbing stopped. A little eye peeks around the mom's knee....Santa? she asks. Of course I reply....this is what I do during the summer when there is no snow! She came out all the way and asked me who I was giving presents to during the summer. I gave her a candy (I always had baskets of candy out for the taking) and explained that during the summer, the daddies all want a toy. But daddy toys were usually big, sharp, and dangerous to anybody who is not a friend. (chuckles all around). then I said...Now take your daddy and mommy next door to look at the musical instruments next door. Those are toys for mommies. And they have big gong you can ring! (groans all around).

The top picture is what I looked like at that show! Click to enlarge it...my beard was magnificent and full..like Moses' beard! The nice lady is Myrna, my neighbour...she showed up without telling me she was coming...the stinker! That show was in Toronto, a good 7 hours drive from here at home in Ottawa!

Night all....

3 comments:

Michele said...

Hey stag, what's this no freddy mercury on the list stuff ? I like
queen i even went to their concert in the 80's.Yep you're my best friend is great,but it still doesn't compare to the tracks of my tears by smokey.The beatles are
highly overated in my opinion.
Yellow submerine?
paperback writer?
eleanor rigby?
I want to hold your hand ?
The best song by the beatles
in my humble opinion was
come together.

Jennifer said...

you are such a sweetheart!!! It warms my heart to think of that little girl growing up with the magic of *knowing* she saw Santa Claus in the summer! And what a story to tell her children and grandchildren. God bless your heart.

Ovonia Red said...

Oh. The Gong. How quickly I forgot...

Yes, I remember you sending kids over to ring the gong. I probably had this little kid too. Hm. Even though I was only there a couple of years, I kinda miss the festival. Actually, I mostly miss the neat folks I got to live near. The weekends were just brief interludes.

Merry Christmas.