Thursday, January 19, 2006

Armour.


Got this finished yesterday. Not so bad...I think!

I am working on the faulds....that is the skirt part. This is just the top part. This armour is 1/16th of an inch thick (16 gauge), hammered out on the block, and shaped on the anvil entirly by hand. Then it is sanded with 80 grit, then torched all over to make it a nice "plum" colour. The clear coat lacquer will keep it that way for a few years! This one needs another coat of lacquer...some scratches from the construction exist...but a square of tee shirt cloth soaked in lacquer thinner will soften and blend the scratches in the lac ( a five minute job!).

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

COOL! I was wondering what made the pretty color. Very nice. Tell me again what gauge a stop sign is? I forgot.

STAG said...

A stop sign would be either 16 or 14 gauge. That is to say, 1/16th of an inch, or 1/14th of an inch. Heavy enough!