Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Don Adams,Dead at 82

Sorry about that Chief!

Well, would you believe....

Go Go Gadget legs!

The depressing news that Don Adams is dead is the perfect topper of a dreadful week.
http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/2005/09/26/1236535.html

In a 1959 interview Adams said he never cared about being funny as a kid: "Sometimes I wonder how I got into comedy at all. I did movie star impressions as a kid in high school. Somehow they just got out of hand."
In 1941, he dropped out of school to join the Marines. In Guadalcanal he survived the deadly blackwater fever and was returned to the States to become a drill instructor, acquiring the clipped delivery that served him well as a comedian.
After the war he worked in New York as a commercial artist by day, doing standup comedy in clubs at night, taking the surname of his first wife, Adelaide Adams. His following grew, and soon he was appearing on the Ed Sullivan and late-night TV shows. Bill Dana, who had helped him develop comedy routines, cast him as his sidekick on Dana's show. That led to the NBC contract and Get Smart.
Adams, who married and divorced three times and had seven children, served as the voice for the popular cartoon series, Inspector Gadget as well as the voice of Tennessee Tuxedo. In 1980, he appeared as Maxwell Smart in a feature film, The Nude Bomb, about a madman whose bomb destroyed people's clothing.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

The only one I recognize is the Inspector Gadget cartoon....not to make you feel old, or anything.

. said...

Well, I remember Get Smart!

Wasn't Inspector Gadget a direct parody of Get Smart?

I'll get you next time Gadget, neeext time!!! *rooowwwwrr from madcat*

M. C. Pearson said...

"99, come over here now!"
"I'm right next to you, Max"

Telephone booth secret entrance! Oh, yes. I remember Get Smart.

And Inspector Gadget:
"Brain, why are you following me?"

Thanks for the news...I'll miss him too.

STAG said...

I can't believe he used to be a drill instructor. Trying to imagine him in the role of the "bad" drill instructor in "Full Metal Jacket".

"You will be exposed to incredible privations and danger. You will be risking your life!"

"And LOVING it"

M. C. Pearson said...

LOL--Yeah, that would be way to funny. I'd be doing push-ups from here to eternity because I'd just be laughing at him!

You're pretty darn creative yourself!

God Bless!