Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Finally back to work!

Well, except for hiding behind the computer blogging that is!

Just got back from doing a demo at a county fair. Never done one like that before. I think it went well. However a good solid "post mortem" needs to be done to see if this is where I want to move my business to. Like...what parts worked well, what parts sucked...that sort of thing. I know what the reporters want, but I won't moon the fair just so they can get the "perfect" shot. Kind of annoying though...I wanted to watch some of the other stuff (the tai chi demo for instance) and the press is getting a story of some kind. I have had so much contact with the press over the years...it is difficult to take them seriously. I am SO tempted to just tell them, take a picture, and make up a story...you'll do it anyway. oh, and here is a business card to make sure that you will spell my name right. They make up the story, but they never DO get my name right!

Oh well, maybe a lot of my old school buddies will see my mug in the paper and raise a glass to me.

On a different note...finally watched "Sin City". Interesting. Sort of a comic book version of a Traveling Wilbury's album. Remember, you heard it here first. (I asked her to marry me, she pulled out a knife. The parties just beginning she said, your money or your life! Now back at the bar, she went a little too far.........last night...talking about last night.....) or (Some days I don't think about anythin' but the Monkey Man!)

Has anybody noticed by the way that there are a LOT less spam sites lately? I am sure that last month every second site or more was a spam site. Now, as I hit "next blog", it actually goes to somebody's honest to gawd blog! Maybe the countermeasures are working....or maybe I have just been very lucky!

Well, those helmets won't make themselves.....

6 comments:

. said...

I know for one, I've been flagging every spam site I see. Its a nice output for when I'm feeling vindictive :D.

I just recently watched Sin City as well, I know exactly what you mean.

Low Carb Ketogenic Diets said...

Thanks for stopping in and leaving a comment. As far as your spam concerns go its amazing how many ads i post and the number of people that take offense. The whole thing really doesn't consider the ad itself or the people that visit. It about getting the search engines to list the site in relation to the words that are used. I've only been using it for two weeks as a test and then do my own post mortem to see how it works out.

Thanks for your input. I always enjoy constructive critisim. I will probably trash the blog submitter thing. The numbers aren't looking as good as promissed etc.

Thank you again.

. said...

People don't like spam. When they leave comments open for people to post, they expect a real human being to answer and give thoughts.

What isn't expected is another outlet for people to spam us with garbage. Our mailboxes are full. Our phones ring off the hook. Our email boxes are jammed. Even trying to watch TV or listen to radio, we're jammed full of ads. Hit the wrong website and you're sitting there with 50 ads.

And you find it "amazing" that people get offended? Think about it.

PS: I tried to keep the comment low-key and vulgarity free since its on your blog and not mine Stag. :D

STAG said...

This gentleman seems a nice enough fellow who may have been sold a bill of goods...that advertising will actually help his business. And he is not just a robot program trolling through the bloggosphere... Well, anyone who is in the advertising business will certainly tell you that advertising works! However, I find that I get all the business I can handle by word of mouth...almost no advertising at all! Oh sure, I have a web site, but it is in the nature of an "on line catalogue" rather than an advertising medium.
Advertising is still evolving. Blogging is still evolving...right now I think we are in the beginnings of a bold experiment, that of blogging, but that blogging will go the way of ICQ, MUDs, and other on-line chat rooms in a few years as the advertisers take them over, and drive people away.

. said...

Behind every spammer is a human being. They may have various different things in common with us.

But it doesn't justify spamming vs normal advertising. No one can honestly tell me they've been using the internet and not know that spamming is bad.

I even found his explanation to be pretty poor. "But it helps my search engine placement." Wow. You know, robbing a bank would help out my pocketbook a lot. I'd buy drinks for everyone and donate half to charity... it doesn't make robbing a bank any less wrong :D.

Also, saying "If you don't like it turn word verify on" as this gentleman has been telling others, is a farce. Its like saying "If you don't get unbreakable windows I'm allowed to break into your house and steal your stuff." He knows its wrong -- him trying to rationalize something immortal just made me more upset :D.

. said...

And before I forget, I did want to discuss a bit about the evolution and the examples you gave.

ICQ did get overrun with advertisers. But there are ways to combat it. I haven't gotten a single piece of spim (IM spam) in a long time, and I use icq/msn/yim/aim/gtalk.

MUDs really didn't get taken over by advertisers either. A lot of people did leave'em due to MMORPG's. Not to mention a lot of them were grossly mishandled (I'm a former hardcore mudder).

Even in MMORPG's, some have tried to inject advertising. I remember when Anarchy Online did this on billboards, advertising Alienware (but as though they were vehicle producers and not a desktop gaming company). They took those out fast due to a community backlash.

Online chat rooms... well I've seen what things like yahoo messenger offer, that spam is annoying as hell. Lets hope they don't take this route. But from what I understand, irc is still alive 'n' kicking.