Sunday, March 05, 2006

My ancestors


This is a pic of the family taken I think when they stepped off the boat in Montreal. What a great family! Old grandmams, mustachio'd men. Big cossack coats, demure babushkas. Not a lot of grinning! But then, they were still probably seasick from the passage. as always, click on the image to enlarge.

They called themselves "Ruthenians". Actually they were from Bukovinia...part of what is now the Ukraine. This bunch were from the farming territory south of Lvov (pronounced "Le view" of course!) They tell me that my grandmother is the harried looking woman with the two kids on the far left of the picture. I actually had people visiting here last year who knew all those people, and wrote their names down....and like a fool, I lost the info!

quote..."Many grains of incense on the same altar, one falls first, another later, but difference, there is none."______________Meditations of Marcus Aurelius, book IV

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

WOW! Stag that is so cool. Do you know what year the photo was taken? Are all of the people in the photo related?

STAG said...

Um...yeah...related by marriage as well as brother and sister. There are 5 siblings with their wives and kids in this picture. There are a couple of "good friends" here who married in later, and some confirmed bachelors who just kind of tilled their farms. This is my Father's side of the family, and they tell me that is is pretty much farmer folk. No glorious cossacks, pirates, or highwaymen I fear!