Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Eventful weekend...


Got a helm sent off. This is what it is supposed to look like. Instead I seem to have forgotten everything I ever knew about making this silly helm. I didnt bother to read my notes on the templates, its just a barrel helm right? I made what...a couple of dozen of them in my career? Well, after I made it, it didn't really look right, so I looked up barrel helms I had done in the past. Yup, I had made big basic design errors. I put the top on the outside instead of the inside, the bottom part got put on top of the upper part, the face plate was symmetrical, the crosses were sqare instead of circular, and there were two of them instead of one! All in all, a shambles. Is it common to forget how to do things, even simple things like making a simple barrel helm like this?
Fortunately, the helm I made is functional, but honestly, I will have to pull up my socks and pay more attention to what I am doing.

The bus station this weekend was a zoo! What fuel crisis? 60 taxi drivers idling their engines up St. Catherines street! I hate Thanksgiving weekend...all the crowding and noise with none of the "Good Cheer" of Christmas. Canadian Thanksgiving is in the pissiest time of year too...October !! No leaves have fallen yet, summer is definely over, but fall is not really here. I have heard this is a good time of year to go diving!

All these things seem so petty when I watch footage from Pakistan. My heart breaks when I hear of schools which have collapsed and think of the families frantically dragging at the wreckage with their bare hands to get to the children crying out with pain down inside. Or worse, hearing the crying stop! In the midst of all this human misery, there are politics....which is fodder for another post!

Well, back to work, make a "good" barrel helm this morning.

7 comments:

M. C. Pearson said...

I want to see a picture of the crappy helm!

Hope your turkey day was good, even if you had to go through traffic and all.

Yes, my heart goes out to the so many who have had horrible tragedies this year: Tsunami, Hurricanes, Floods, Earthquake, and now a Blizzard? Also, I pray that the Avian Flu does NOT become a plague. Must be getting close to end times? Even so, come Jesus!

STAG said...

Well, I made that one a year or so ago. Somehow I sort of forgot how to make them! I do better work than this!
The crappy one is sent out the customer at a rebate...we'll see if it even fits him!


MC, the Tsunami and the earthquake are God's judgement on the Muslim extremists, who are the true "enemies of God". If they were NOT enemies of God,then Allah would have spared them from flood and earthquake and destruction. It says so right here in the Koran...
quote....

008.013
YUSUFALI: This because they contended against Allah and His Messenger: If any contend against Allah and His Messenger, Allah is strict in punishment.
PICKTHAL: That is because they opposed Allah and His messenger. Whoso opposeth Allah and His messenger, (for him) lo! Allah is severe in punishment.
SHAKIR: This is because they acted adversely to Allah and His Messenger; and whoever acts adversely to Allah and His Messenger-- then surely Allah is severe in requiting (evil).

008.014
YUSUFALI: Thus (will it be said): "Taste ye then of the (punishment): for those who resist Allah, is the penalty of the Fire."
PICKTHAL: That (is the award), so taste it, and (know) that for disbelievers is the torment of the Fire.
SHAKIR: This-- taste it, and (know) that for the unbelievers is the chastisement of fire.
this is from...http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/008.qmt.html

Note that those verses say the God will do all the punishing...not the Al Quaida or Hamas or whatever extremist organization is out there.
The Imams are going to have a hard time blaming this one on the United States!

Unlike the angry God though, I feel for the women, children and innocents who get caught under His sythe when he mows. So I am donating my blood to the Red Cross today, and as much money as possible to go to relief.

Blimey, I didn't want to vent about that! Doesn't make me feel any better....people are dying all over the place (35 thousand last estimate! and Winter coming in!) This is supposed to be a pleasant blog, full of pleasant thoughts!

M. C. Pearson said...

Quoting from the Koran? Hmmm. So, are you Muslim? Not that it is really my business...It's just that I have seen you quote the Bible too. I love you just the same either way, my friend!

To me, God isn't judging anyone yet...we still have time to help the lost. I'm no authority about the end times but it seems that God is trying to give us a 'wake-up' call.

STAG said...

No, I am not a Muslim, but I can admire a fine people who are being misled by a few fire brands, and be disgusted by it! I think I am pretty disgusted with the Catholics right now too, since these latest revelations have cropped up from Los Angeles. Not to mention I found that Peter Popoff is still raking in the dough with his little magic show! However, as I said, that rant does not belong here...I shall move it to my "rant" blog. After tomorrow, it will be deleted.

I also quote from Heinlein, Asimov, Tolkein, and JK Rowling....grin!

STAG said...

Not to mention Seeker, Pirate, Zlanth, Jennifer and m. c. pearson upon occasion...wherever wisdom may be found....

Jennifer said...

Well, I had the flu yesterday so I missed this fun conversation. Yes, the suffering in the aftermath of the earthquake is unfathomable. We all need to do whatever we can. Stag, do you make your products all by yourself or do you have employees helping you? How long does it take to make a helmet and how many do you make in a year?

STAG said...

Hi Jen, I make a helm a week, thereabouts. When I am actually IN the shop, and not gallivanting around the country! In addition, I make some nice armour. The armour is easier to make because the metal gauge is much lighter, and easier to push around!

I shall post a couple of pics of my work up here in the next couple of days. Right now I have to drive off to a welding shop and pick up a metal frame for an English Wheel! I expect I'll have the pictures of my new wheel up here!

The only good news this week m.c. was that those 19 old folks in Toronto died from Legionairs Disease, not Sars! If you call this good news.....

"We are not gonna get out of this life alive so we might as well live it right!"