Sunday, October 23, 2005

Is it just me or is that driver blind?







Blind Referees. Blind outfielders. Blind swordsmen! Blind drivers! This in from the Manchester Online....one of the finest tabloids in the World! http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/cars/news/s/177/177438_blind_driver_sets_speed_record.html

Mike Newman, from Sale, Cheshire, raced to 167.32mph in his specially-made BMW M5 at Elvington Airfield, near York.
Organisers of the event said the record was set after the average speed was taken from two runs at the Yorkshire airfield earlier today.
He was hoping to break the 200mph barrier but was thwarted as he ran out of room on the track.
He said: "It has been a wonderful day. It has been a really exciting day. Hopefully I have raised awareness ahead of World Sight Day and shown that you can achieve anything you want."
Mr Newman set a record of 144mph in a Jaguar XJ-R in August 2003.
But he hopes today's new record will increase awareness and much-needed funds for his chosen charity, Vision 2020, ahead of World Sight Day later this week.
John Galloway, who helped organise today's record attempt, said: "This is a marvellous achievement. Mike drove totally unassisted. It is a fantastic achievement and has been one of the most emotional days of my life."


Hah! I am sure I was following this fellow down the 401 highway last Thursday!

3 comments:

STAG said...

http://members.shaw.ca/b.bogdan/Arrow/avro_arrow.htm

Pirate said...

I see him every morning on my commute.

Yeah, it is weird how Wayne and I share a birthday and i have no idea how they play his game. You know enough to explain it to me?

STAG said...

How to play hockey....

Well, pirate, that deserves an entire post!