Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Showing off




These are the bayonettes all done, and in the display box. Didn't turn out too bad. (as ususal, click on the images to enlarge.)

I think this project has got to be the most difficult, complex, and successful project I have ever done! They don't know they are getting the display box. Should be a nice surprise. This was Brenda's contribution to the cause. I discovered an interesting product..."noodle boards". They are like flat versions of the common "pool noodles", closed cell foam which kids would normally play with in a backyard pool. It cuts like a dream with the razor knife, and Brenda cut a couple of them in the shape of the box, then tucked a sheet of black velvet in around it. They nestle neatly into the cutouts, forming a sort of cushion. The top and sides were just cardboard with the velvet glued on with spray adhesive. Worked a treat!

I cut my trip short so I could deliver these scabbards today. Unfortunately, they are needed.

7 comments:

Medusa aka expiringpoet said...

Bill, them bayonets and display box look amazing! Do you feel sad to let go of your art pieces after they're done? Just wondering, cos I know I would! :)

coastalcutie2000 said...

I agree with Medusa, amazing work!! I would be more than a little hesitant to have to give something that I worked so hard on up, no matter the reason...

Keep up your creativity, the world needs a LOT more of it!

PCM

STAG said...

Well, these are going to the Command Chief Warrant Officer's Office, who will be issueing these to the colour parties to honour returning soldiers who have died in action. It does not bother me to go the extra mile for those guys...

I wish I could do more to honour them.

Like I said, unfortunately, they are needed this week.

Last week it was woman officer who came back. She got a sword to hold down the flag on her casket.

Frustrated Writer said...

wow, those are extremely nice! you are definitely an artist!

STAG said...

Well, a real artist of my aquaintance told me that he always got bored with a technique or style before he could figure out how to make it look good. He described me as an "artisan". On the other hand, another friend of mine is a real honest to gawd artist, and all his paintings look stunning, but all his sculptures are all about the looks rather than the function. They often have a vaguely unsettling look to them, all style without substance. Imagine a fork made from rubber...


I like the label "artisan". More workmanlike.

Medusa aka expiringpoet said...

Sounds like there are quite a number of casualties :(
Its good that you can contribute something meaningful though, with your talent.

Jennifer said...

Wow! What a transformation from the beginning materials to this! God bless you for your contribution.